VAUXHALL ASTRA GTE MK1 CAR PERFORMANCE SPORTS TURBO
www.mk1oc.com
Google
AlbumAlbum  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 MapMap  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MK1OC Club
Shop Contact MK1OC by Email

:: best viewed @ 1024 x 768 :.

Calendar 
Any gardeners?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> Non-Astra Related
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ash
Space Kadett
<font color=#FF8000>Space Kadett</font>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Any gardeners? Reply with quote

This is a bit of a strange one but it is car related.
When I first moved into my garage it had an enormous amount of Ivy growing all over it. Next to my garage was a 6 foot High labyrinth of Ivy that connected to the roof.
The Ivy on the roof had to be split into 4 sections as it was 1 foot thick and completely interlaced making it extremely hard to cut through.

Any way, after a few days hard graft I beat the Ivy and got down to ground level. Now 1 year on, the Ivy is spouting out of the ground next to my garage all over the place. Today I removed the years growth and that should be it for the winter.
My question is, how do I eradicate it completely. I've used lots of Super strength weed killer (imported from the UK as its illegal in Germany Whistle )
It didnt even touch it. The leaves went a bit brown and then it carried on growing.

Will I need to remove the top soil to get rid of it completely?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View user's gallery MSN Messenger
mitch1965
Astra Demon
Astra Demon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only way is to dig down roundd the base ad haul as mush as possible out. Cover the base of the trunk with bitumen paint, that will stop it.
<font color=#33CC00>Moderator</font>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As that man say need to dig out as much as possible.

Got the same problem between mine and my neighbours house. Load of ivy neither of us want so cut back dig out earlier this year.

Some has grown back so cut back and dig out again. Will get there in the end hopefully and it'll be gone.

Aim Low, Reach Your Goals and Avoid Disappointment
View user's profile Send private message View user's gallery Visit poster's website
gm-powered
Astra Craftsman
Astra Craftsman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Weed Reply with quote

With ivy. At the base you have to cut the growth. Cut at least a 2inch chunk out of it and then drill several deep holes in to the base of the ivy and inject it with glyphosate. Or any super high strength industrial weed killer. That's how we do it.
The growth that's suficating your garage, leave it to go brown n brittle and it will peel straight off. The base, if its big, may need drilling and injecting once a month until it goes the same way. Brown n brittle.
Then you'll be able to smash it out the ground.

1973 viva 3dr est
1962 landrover 88'
WheelyBigCheese
Astra Old Hand
Astra Old Hand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

appologies for childish comment!
Ash
Space Kadett
<font color=#FF8000>Space Kadett</font>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always a favorite of mine but i'm losing the garage in the not to distant future as the woman has decided to sell up.

So, fück it!

One thing that will tickle me is when they open my garage and see the 2cm (and growing) subsidence crack across the garage floor. I bet they haven't costed that one!

It annoys me because I specifically asked the woman what her plans were for the site when I moved in.

My Kadett will be running soon so it won't need such a big home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View user's gallery MSN Messenger
warphi1970
Events Organiser
<font color=#33CC00>Events Organiser</font>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drill holes and pour either bramble killer ultra or sbk brushwood killer into the holes. and copper pipe of cuts always help lol
Dyl kadett
Astra Old Hand
Astra Old Hand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agent Orange should do the trick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View user's gallery AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> Non-Astra Related All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: