VAUXHALL ASTRA GTE MK1 CAR PERFORMANCE SPORTS TURBO
www.mk1oc.com
Google
AlbumAlbum  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 MapMap  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MK1OC Club
Shop Contact MK1OC by Email

:: best viewed @ 1024 x 768 :.

Calendar 
Intro...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> General Astra Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monaco Blue
Astra Newbie
Astra Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Intro... Reply with quote

Thought I'd say hello. Joined a couple of months ago after browsing for a while.

I'm a one time Mk1 Astra owner twice over.

The first Astra I owned was a Sapphire Blue 1300S GL NYS345V which I bought in 1981. It was a low mileage car at the time being previously owned by the wife of my local Vauxhall dealers co-owner, Ferguson of Renfrew. A fantastic car at the time and being fitted with the optional alloys looked very smart. Kept it for 3 years and replaced it with another low mileage Mk1 Astra. This being one of the rare '1.6 EXP S' in red/black. KGG776Y, this one being bought from Lylesland of Paisley.

At the time, the Astra SR had yet to be launched and the Kadet SR was still only available as a 1.3.

I preferred the look of the EXP S as the black bodywork was painted in silk black rather than the plastic cladding of the SR. It also had the black painted side window frames and surrounds which looked smart. Fog lights at the front were also standard. Inside it had the GL door cards (which the SR didn't) along with the 6 dial instruments.

On the debit side, compared with the SR it didn't come with the Recaro seats which was an odd ommission, and no side skirts.

The 1.6 engine although it had 90BHP relative to the 1.3's 75BHP never felt quite as willing as the 1.3 albeit it was quicker.

A link to an archive photo: https://goo.gl/images/XhZTYg

At the time (1984) a friend bought a new GTE in silver. Since then I've always wanted one. I'm still waiting.....

Anyway, come 1987 it was time to replace the EXP S, but was never taken with the MK2 GTE (and the much more desirable 16V had yet to be introduced) so bought myself a new Manta GTE in Monaco Blue which I kept for 12 years and 160K miles until it went to meet it's maker after an MOT failure due to the underside being rotten. A pity as the bodywork and interior were still in good condition.

Have had a variety of other Vauxhalls since, but currently driving a Saab 9-3 Sportwagon.

Last edited by Monaco Blue on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
nelson c.
Astra Enthusiast
Astra Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome mate, nice collection you had.
bighed
<font color=#33CC00>Moderator</font>

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Have fun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> General Astra Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: