VAUXHALL ASTRA GTE MK1 CAR PERFORMANCE SPORTS TURBO
www.mk1oc.com
Google
AlbumAlbum  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 MapMap  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MK1OC Club
Shop Contact MK1OC by Email

:: best viewed @ 1024 x 768 :.

Calendar 
My EXP-S

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> Projects & Restorations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacko
Astra Expert
Astra Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: My EXP-S Reply with quote

Well i decided to start on the car on Sunday, started stripping it to check the condition of everything and im pretty happy with it all tbh. Got her up on the ramps at Dene's garage (cheers mate thumbsup) Jacko and us (Dene's workmate) had a poke around, everything that needs to be is mint, so this is good! big grin

The car as she was...

Interior nice and clean...

This is the sound proofing...this was sodden, really bad but luckily shes not been sat for to long and water hadn’t started to rot the pans! I was thinking the worst when i was getting ready to pull this out! eek

As said, pans are solid, you can see a small bit of work has been done behind the accelerator pedal but to a high standard so i'll leave it be. (note the drivers pan, can you see the dent? god knows how that got there but again the pan is fine so will hammer it out.

Passenger pan, really good, with no sign of ever being welded, although im not sure what all this red oxide paint stuff is all about (hopefully preventative work...)

Rear struts, N/S is as it should be, with no rot or repair thumbsup O/S has been repaired, but it looks in top condition so i'll leave it, i'll just grind the welds down a little. While im having all the work done i might copy this to the N/S strut as it looks like a really strong bit of welding. The rust you can see were the arch meets the boot pan isn't, its just orange dirt! lol I've scrapped it all back and its mint.

So, where this water coming in from then?? I'll take more pictures in a few weeks when im back working on her, got her booked into Dene's garage in a few weeks for Jacko to do his magic, all thats needed for MOT is a patch on the sill but im gonna have both sills replaced, both rear arches, rear valance and N/S rear corner and both front wings and a tailgate.

So, shes now stripped bare, only things left to come out is the dash and car loom and everything in the engine bay plus removing all this sound deadening shite off the inside as it all extra weight i don't need. Some metal plates will need to be made and welded in and seam welding to be done everywhere its needed. Hopefully will have a rolling shell this time in two weeks, maybe with a few added extras wink

The problem is im gonna have a patch work quilt of a car when im finished cuz i can't afford a full respray, i'll just get the inside painted for now then wait till winter i think for the outside.

Jacko
Astra Expert
Astra Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, got a little more done on the mk1 today, the good clouds never buggered off and this hampered me slightly, i just hate working out in the rain tbh. Kept the boot open while i was working and filled the bloody wheel well up with water, had to pop the rubber bungs out to drain it all. Front footwells also keep filling up due to some holeage rusty action going on in the scuttle panel...

As you can see i've got all the tar off the rear bench floor, this was so nice to remove, came up a treat, the rest however is not as easy, doesn't come up in big patches.

The trusty Spear & Jackson heat gun getting some action...

As you can see i started on the tunnel, got the top done all the way down to the bulkhead, this is the horrible tar that comes up in the smallest of pieces.

Small patch needed to rear footwell, nothing major tho, had a good stab at it and thats as big as i can make the hole...

Dash stripped ready for it to come out next weekend, i'll be taking Jay's spare drivers seat out to get at the front of the car properly. Shouldn't take long to get the rest done tbh. Had to call it a day tho as i broke the bloody windscreen scraper after about 10 minutes of using it and it started to blister the palm of my hands + the plastic was starting to get really grubby and had melted a little from the heat of the tar.

I really need to find a good scraper, problem is they seem to be a seasonal item and halfords weren’t even selling them, fortunately this very kind shop assistant gave me one from stores so that was nice of her.

More to follow in a week then guys... Cool

Jacko
Astra Expert
Astra Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a little more done this weekend in between getting drunk and sleep walk/talking! Confused
Check out these badboy pans, yumm yumm......clean enough to eat ya dinner off i'd say! lol

Got the Dash out and heater box, bit of brut force used after about 1/2 of try my best to get it out in one piece.

Found some rust under the supposedly decent repairs, bloody botchers patching it up with filler and a metal mesh! Bastards mad

Ohh well, just a little bit more added to an already biiiiiiiiiig list.

ARRRRRRRRRRRR, RUST........................did i mansion the mint pans... Surprised

You don't think this stuff weighs a lot and tbh in small amounts it really doesn't but i've now got a black bin bag full of this shite and its weighs enough for the effort to be worth while. thumbsup

So, her she is, just need to get the little bits off now, loom, rear and front glass etc. Having some welding done on the 10th-11th so at this point i'll get the engine out for bay welding, can't wait, i really want to get her down to a rolling shell as it'll be go much easier to work on. I’ll be stripping the mk2 gte at the same time as well if anyone wants anything…

Jacko
Astra Expert
Astra Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its been bloody ages since i did any work on the car so had a play today...

As you can see i haven't started to bolt anything down yet, roll over cage still to be fitted and some rubber on tyres still but shes getting there...

Still need to drop the engine in, and wire that up but im really proud of my efforts today, didn't think i could get so much done in such a short space of time.....just goes to show really! LOL

Engine on crane really to be dropped in...

Did any one notice the modified lead cover? Tell ya what, that took so loong to do, and if im really honest i think it looks a little shite, i'll have another go tomorrow...

Anyway, a hard days work on the mk1, im going to have a few beers to celebrate now. toddle pip.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> Projects & Restorations All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: