VAUXHALL ASTRA GTE MK1 CAR PERFORMANCE SPORTS TURBO
www.mk1oc.com
Google
AlbumAlbum  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 MapMap  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MK1OC Club
Shop Contact MK1OC by Email

:: best viewed @ 1024 x 768 :.

Calendar 
The Yellow cars conversion: (40 pictures) NEW PICS ADDED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> Projects & Restorations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Adams
<font color=#FF8000>Full Member</font>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: The Yellow cars conversion: (40 pictures) NEW PICS ADDED Reply with quote

It all started on a tuesday morning back in October in that after all my time of slagging off turbocharged engines, I woke up one morning and all I had in my head was Wuuumppp TIISSSSH, and the seed was sown...

Later that day i had managed to source a calibra turbo for the princley sum of £850 albeit a cat d write off the car was mint... the only downside it was in Preston Lancasire....

I managed to get that freindly Mk1'er Jason to go look at it...

He said it sounded alright but the new lifters needed bedding in. and the timing could be out... but it didnt smoke much on idle on when revving. so i went for it..big grin

Because it was a write off i got a trailer and went up with my dads vectra to bring it back... we almost didnt make it onto the motorway at preston when at 55 the trailer decided it wanted to fishtail FEARCLY. so it was 45MpH all the was home (only a short 5hr journey).

eventually got it home and left it to warm up hoping to bed the lifters in... only downside was that it didnt frown that car was put into the garage and the engine wasnt going to start again until it was in the car.

the next phase was to get the engine out of the car which was fairly tricky with the transfer box still in its place:

then the block striped down and prepared:

Before:

I stripped the block clean with autoglym degreaser (works better cold than gunk) and a fair old bit of elbow grease. the block was then painted with metallic black EXTRA high temp paint from halfords.
After:

Once that was done I then had to get the rest of the engine sorted out:
the reason for the noisy tappets was lack of oil in the head... thought it was one of many things. So out came the tappets:

to find this damage to the head and cams:

I managed to find a company to Motortech who I found were to be VERY useful. they used to do head work for Cortenay when they were a real engine company.

they polished the head and cam and informed me that all that it would do is create an oil groove which aint a bad thing. smile

while the head was away i stripped down and cleaned out the tappets, to find that some of them was full of HUGE swarf... some of which were the size of biro springs frown... so cleaned them out and left to soak in hot oil on the gas for about half an hour and were left in the oil for a week or two till the last minute when i had to refit them.

then the engine came together:

then the cams:

then the cam cover:

and the timing belt courtousy of halfords trade at a wallet bursting £6.50!! (made by good-year rubber co.):

The flywheel had millions of tiny hairline cracks all around it and after much time on mig and a few phone calls i found found a lightened flywheel for sale for £100 quid which soon got put on:

it was then ready...

i then booked of a week from work to get the car ready and the engine in...

i started by taking out the old engine:

before:

After:

i then had to grind off the front passenger gearbox mount to allow the 6 speed box to fit:

for the gearbox mounts i had to fabricate/modify them:

the original front mount is removed (above picture) i then had to make up a braket or the new mount:

i got short 6" peice of metal bar and drilled 2 12mm (or 13mm i cant remember) holes, i then placed 2 M12 nut and bolts through them and welded the nuts to the bar.

the purpous of this is that you need to mount the gearbox mount under the chassis rail instead of on the side of it.

the rear mount need a little bit of attention:
the f20 and the f28 have a notch on the box which catches on the mount:

u have to cut away the sections in red and re-weld the sections in yellow:

on the F28 the holes where the bolts would go into are not tapped on the f28 because of the transfer box is normally there so i recommend M12 threads as they are big enough to take the extra power:

the front engine mount is a match for the mk2 gte 16v ALLOY engine mount:

MOUNTING THE ENGINE:

the easiest way i have found over the years is lifting the car up and pulling it over the engine. it takes about 20 mins to drop and engine in once you've done it a few times.:

the hardest part here is to line up the gearbox mount to the chassis rail, so its left until last.

lower the car back down into axle stands and lift up engine into the engine bay:

bolt in the front drivers side mount:

then bolt up the rear engine mount ( i found this esiest if you have the engine still on the crane but use a trolley jack to adjust the height of the engine more precisely:

then bolt on rear engine mount:

once this is done, bolt on the calibra gearbox mount and rubber to the gearbox and jack it up so that it rests on the chassis rail:

then, mark the chassis rail where the holes line up to on the rail...with the other two mounts in place, this one whould be in exactly the right place:

then drill the holes into the chassis rails:

this is where the metal bar made earlier comes into use...:

remove the fron bumper and slide the bar up the chassis rail to the holes and bolt up the rubber mount:

bolt up the mount tight to the rail and then bolt on the engine mount:

NEARLY DONE!! big grin

last thig to do really is the gear shift shaft... its about 1 1/2" to long:

what you have to do is cut this off the shaft and cut down it again not forgetting to grind a new notch for the bolt to go into:

job done. big grin

now just bolt on turbo, put in radiator (VERY TIGHT FIT) and plumbing.

and wumpp tishh... off you go

Last edited by Rob Adams on Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Rob Adams

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres the new KKK24 hybrid turbo:

Image123.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.98 KB
 Viewed:  8956 Time(s)

Image123.JPG

Rob Adams

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and heres the old turbo:
OUCH!!!

still made 12psi laughing

Image137.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.82 KB
 Viewed:  8954 Time(s)

Image137.JPG

Rob Adams

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote

MY CAR:

ENGINE

• Coscast head
• V-max Evo 5 ECU upgrade
• 4.5 bar fuel pressure regulator
• Wallbro 255 high power fuel pump
• Turbocentre uk KKK24 hybrid turbo
• Front mounted intercooler
• K&N air filter
• Pipecraft 2.5 inch stainless steel exhaust system
• Bailey evo Twin piston dump valve
• Regal 60mm enlarged top hat and pipes

TRANSMISSION

• Getrag f28 6 speed gearbox modified for fwd
• Quaiffe ATB LSD
• Lightened and balanced flywheel
• Helix motorsport high power clutch and uprated pressure plate

BRAKES

• Front- Wilwood Dynalite 4 pots with 280mm discs
• Rear- MK2 16v Astra rear axle, braided hoses

SUSPENSION

• KW Shock absorbers and 40mm lowering springs
• OMP front strut brace

WHEELS

• 7" x 17" Dotz Daytona's

EXTERIOR

• Pineapple yellow paint with red and gold metaflake
• Nova electric mirrors
• Clear front indicators
• Irmscher modified grill with intercooler

INTERIOR

• Calibra leather Recaro front seats
• MK2 GTE digital dash
• Momo alloy gearknob
• Omega indicator stalks
• Lots of audio laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> Projects & Restorations All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: