VAUXHALL ASTRA GTE MK1 CAR PERFORMANCE SPORTS TURBO
www.mk1oc.com
Google
AlbumAlbum  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 MapMap  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MK1OC Club
Shop Contact MK1OC by Email

:: best viewed @ 1024 x 768 :.

Calendar 
Techie question.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> General Astra Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason
Rallyslag
<font color=#FF8000>Rallyslag</font>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Techie question..... Reply with quote

I have a metal sunroof....Boo!

I am going to chop out said metal sunroof to make some extra room so I can offer up the rollcage into a better position.

Now I am planning on eventually ripping a mahooosive hole in the roof and putting a rag roof in, but for the meantime, here comes the question.

Will a standard glass sunroof fit in the void left by the metal sunroof?

If so, does anyone have one, with all associated seals that I can beg, borrow or steal off you....actually I'll pay, I just need to sell a few things first big grin

I can't see no reason why Vauxhall would have 2 different sizes to cut into the shells at the production plan, so I am assuming, probably wrongly, that they are the same size.

Answers on a post card to Jay's question of the day.... big grin big grin big grin

G1C
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the sunroofs are the same size not sure if the mech is the same but like you say it's not likely they would have to different sizes.
As for bits i had a full sunroof but could'nt get it out so scrapped it with shell. I knew i should keep all bits no matter what they are for these sort of moments.
I MUST START HOARDING PARTS......
AntB
Astra Old Hand
Astra Old Hand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, ive seen a Nova where the guy had cut a section off another nova roof, cut it slightly bigger than the hole and rivetted it on top, he had made a nice job of it and it didnt look too bad, i put a new roof skin on mine to get rid of the factory sliding roof as i had the same probs as you, ie the cage wouldnt fit with the sunroof, anyway 'proper' race cars never had sunroofs did they??? You never saw John Cleland doing a lap of honour waving out of his sunroof did ya laughing laughing
Jason
Rallyslag

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntB wrote:
You never saw John Cleland doing a lap of honour waving out of his sunroof did ya laughing laughing

Would have been quite funky though if he did...laughing

I had thought about a reskin but I'm not sure I have the skills to do this, that's why I was just going to fit a big ass ragroof in to cover it all up and get some rays on the way to events. I don't have access to resistance welder for a start so I'd have to lightly tack weld and rub right down. Although I am liking the idea of the ruff and ready look with the rivets in, suits me sir!!!laughing

AntB
Astra Old Hand
Astra Old Hand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did actually look quite hardcore and very different, im glad i did my roof though whilst i had the chance, it would have always bugged me if i hadnt bothered, although i did get some strange looks when i walked out of my local scrappy with a Mk1 roof help above my head eek eek Very Happy
Suicide
Astra Legend
Astra Legend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always take the sunroof etc out then put a rally roof vent on place where the hole is, cool air and rally look. Just a thought
Jason
Rallyslag

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has also crossed my mind....

I am thinking seriously about the riveted look with a vent in the front to direct air in....Sweet!"

Suicide
Astra Legend
Astra Legend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if you want the rat look dude, get the vent made the right size, rivet it in where the metal angled into the car then smooth it in so it looks works fitted
Jason
Rallyslag

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently painting the rear interior of my car in Hammerite Smooth.....so I ain't that bothered about looks..laughing

I am aiming for the Rat look, rough on the outside sweet underneath.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> General Astra Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: