VAUXHALL ASTRA GTE MK1 CAR PERFORMANCE SPORTS TURBO
www.mk1oc.com
Google
AlbumAlbum  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 MapMap  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MK1OC Club
Shop Contact MK1OC by Email

:: best viewed @ 1024 x 768 :.

Calendar 
Cleaning/tarting up engine/gearbox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> General Astra Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glenn
Club Manager
<font color=yellow>Club Manager</font>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Cleaning/tarting up engine/gearbox Reply with quote

OK, I've never actually done this before so I'd like some advice from peeps that have done it.

The engine, gearbox is sitting in my garage, but naturally it's covered in cak and I want to make it nicer before it goes in the Astra. I'm not wanting to go too far... can't really be bother to paint it.

So what's the best stuff? Best technique etc??

Cheers Very Happy

Band Hire UK
View user's profile Send private message View user's gallery Visit poster's website
davestar7
Astra Veteran
Astra Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooth brush!
Astra Legend
Astra Legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tootbrush (for them tight spaces) washing up brush for everywhere else, Gunk, and a hosepipe to wash the stuff off (pressure washer would be good)

Just be sure there's no open holes (especially not into the engine) and away you go. If you want a polished look then plenty of cloths with either autosol or Autoglym metal polish (shockingly good stuff but expensive)
Jason
Rallyslag
<font color=#FF8000>Rallyslag</font>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am taking off the starter and the turbo so I can get to the block.

I am using Gunk and a pressure washer, but like Ste says, make sure there are no open holes for the water to get in!!

I am only going so far because I am going to paint the block and really shine up the head. Have you thought about using some nice hoses now it's out of the car Glenn? Even if you replace with standard new hoses, it makes a world of difference. I certainly don't intend on shelling out £200+ on blue or red ones, if they were more like £50 then I'd consider it.
View user's profile Send private message View user's gallery Visit poster's website
glenn
Club Manager
<font color=yellow>Club Manager</font>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got nice red hoses already... I really can't be arsed to make a really clean engine... coz it'll only get dirty once in and then stay like it knowing me! frown

I want this car to go fecking fast, it's not gonna be any supermodel when it comes to looks... rough n ready Very Happy

Band Hire UK
G1C
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For cleaning your gearbox, head and cam carrier use some stuff called alloy bright or alli bright, it's an acid you put on and leave around 5-10mins then pressure wash off and it comes out like new, then to keep that look laqcure it when dry. smile Very Happy big grin
justEdnow
Astra Demon
Astra Demon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

know a guy who used hot water, parrafin in a ressure washer that worked a treat.....
opel_kadett_5_door_gte
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G1C wrote:
For cleaning your gearbox, head and cam carrier use some stuff called alloy bright or alli bright, it's an acid you put on and leave around 5-10mins then pressure wash off and it comes out like new, then to keep that look laqcure it when dry. smile Very Happy big grin

where do you get it from and how much do you know?

R1 Wheeliemonster
<font color=#FF8000>R1 Wheeliemonster</font>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to the trouble to polish the alloy, it wouldn't take as long to pressure wash the block with some parafin in the aditive bottle then smootherite (hammerite smooth) the block in a nice colour, (black is clean and subtle) this job in total would only take a few hours even allowing the block to dry also made much easier if the engine is on the floor and would deffinately lift the bay.
My block is now painted black and all the added bits like dipstick tube are silver with new rings, shells, mains, oil and water pumps ready to refit the sump and swap the lumps over then refit the head.
All thats left now is to strip the box and replace the 2 bearings then refit it all. I will include pics when I take some more.

Astra Demon
Astra Demon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, u not finished yet.......lol....good work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> General Astra Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: