VAUXHALL ASTRA GTE MK1 CAR PERFORMANCE SPORTS TURBO
www.mk1oc.com
Google
AlbumAlbum  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 MapMap  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MK1OC Club
Shop Contact MK1OC by Email

:: best viewed @ 1024 x 768 :.

Calendar 
Rolling Resto the story of the SpaceKadett + RACE PREP VIDEO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> General Astra Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpaceKadett
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned before,just after I did some work on the carburettor and got it running, half decent, the exhaust blew, big time. I took it off last night, had a bit of fun trying to separate the back box from the rest of the system.

I welded it before work this morning and stuck it on at lunch time. Sounds nice and crisp now.

I'll get a new middle box when I get her on the road but this'll get me through the test. It'd cost a fortune to buy everything it needs now, new.

SpaceKadett
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pushing on to get the passenger door done before my new front panel arrives. Just got a bit of time at it this evening and took the door off and brought it indoors where I can work on it during the evenings next week. Got what they said was the last inner door repair panel from Hadrian. And yes there is a left hand snotter door blocking the gap on my pride and joy for the week. But I won't bore you with another photo.

I'm impressed the repair panel has the holes drilled for the door card clips.

Dobbo
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sh$t that door looks fucked would it not be cheaper and easier to buy another door Confused
SpaceKadett
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be very hard to find a better door in this country, since the asking price for any bog standard, base model car is about €3000 over here anything with a good door is worth big money, dtm 0211 went to similar trouble with his.

This is also a car with some sentimental value to me so the more of the original that I keep the better. €30 for the repair section and a day of welding and filler isn't so bad, there's worse things to do with your time.

SpaceKadett
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the day off work today and the sun was splitting the stones so I figured it was a good day for a bit of painting so I stripped down and painted the inner front wing areas. Condition under here was fairly good.

I'm going to leave the uprights for the moment, I have to change the dampers and I might just swap the whole unit or paint them off the car when the time comes

I've a few little holes to patch up on the passenger side, but I'm running off an old generator which won't run my welder where the car is at the moment, so will have to chase up on those later, not ideal but I was getting freaked that if I waited there'd be a lot more to do by the time I got to weld it.

SpaceKadett
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut out the rusty section and tacked in the repair panel this evening. i'm going to trial fit it before I go any further. Much happier to see the door coming together now. According to ebay my front panel will arrive shortly.

SpaceKadett
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the leading edge of another door that was otherwise completely knackered but it gave me the folded curve I'd struggle to recreate myself.

Nearly there now

My bloody front valence that I'm waiting on got returned to the vendor twice because it had no postcode. We don't have any in Ireland. I told him to stic 000 OOO on it and hope for the best.

SpaceKadett
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been full circle now. I started this restoration in 2006 by welding the side gutters on the boot surrount I left the top because I wasn't sure how to do it. Four years later I'm a little bit more confident. I cut a strip of steel from an old saloon boot and put a bend in it.

I tacked it into place and then welded it up solid. Now she's completly waterproof.

Last edited by SpaceKadett on Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message View user's gallery Visit poster's website
Dobbo
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicely done mate thumright
SpaceKadett
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dobbo. My front panel arrived today so I went medieval on it with the big grinder and removed as much as I could in the twenty minutes of daylight I had after work. It had been coming together, it looks pretty rough with that lot removed.

SpaceKadett
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a half day from work today a stuck my front panel on. That's the end of the big welding jobs, just a few patches here and there now. I sent off my tax forms today signed at the police station. 3 weeks until National Car Test although I might try and reschedule for a weekend date.

SpaceKadett
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously I couldn't ask anymore of my mk2 Van, not only does it end up towing the mk1, lug panels, welders tools and bumpers around but now I'm using it to provide light and power through an invertor for after work sessions in the dark. Getting through the little jobs and finishing off others lately, final sanding of filler on the passenger side here, fitted standard mirrors and reconditioned the window scrapers on the front doors last week.

timewellnick
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like your starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel mate. are you going to have it re-sprayed at some point? if so you thought about what colour?
SpaceKadett
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably wait until the summer but the car I've always wanted is a yellow SR, I bought one in terrible condition when I was a teenager and got the body kit off it and very little else before it dissolved. In one of the pics above you can see the bits I cut from the boot to save the lettering. You don't see many of them in this colour even on the net, but I found this one in Portugal I think. I have everything I need to make mine like this, but polished

SpaceKadett
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a little bit done over the weekend, I painted the inside of the doors and fitted the door cards I picked up in Sligo last week and was delighted that they match the Recaros so well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> General Astra Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: