VAUXHALL ASTRA GTE MK1 CAR PERFORMANCE SPORTS TURBO
www.mk1oc.com
Google
AlbumAlbum  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 MapMap  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MK1OC Club
Shop Contact MK1OC by Email

:: best viewed @ 1024 x 768 :.

Calendar 
getting a willy tommorrow
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> Non-Astra Related
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suicide
Astra Legend
Astra Legend

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the event I guess, the wider track would definately help in some places, wouldn't be so good where it's tight
Mark1GTE
wee mark
<font color=#FF8000>wee mark</font>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i`ll ask jay about getting into tight places he seems to be grand master around here at that cough "ky jelly" cough big grin

p.s this is gonch`s thread better stop talking drivvle again mate
Kelly
Astra Newbie
Astra Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen this thread - i had a Williams 2 for 3 years.

Excellent cars - but a tad difficult to work on due to ther e being NO room in the engine bay.

If you want info, technical knowledge or even a good place to start looking for a good example - get onto www.williamsclio.co.uk - an excellent site smile
Crafty
Astra Craftsman
Astra Craftsman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep reading the title for this thread and think it says willys. A bit like this:

bit more interesting than a cilo ?
Jason
Rallyslag
<font color=#FF8000>Rallyslag</font>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good god my man where did you dig that picture from???

It is so Beetle-esq that is.

Suicide
Astra Legend
Astra Legend

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep thats def a bit more interesting than a clio... and miles more interesting than a piece of german antique technology that should have died many many years ago
Crafty
Astra Craftsman
Astra Craftsman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetle! beetle! ye gods man, I know people that would inflict serious pain for that !!
Willys are american cars, the company name was Willy International.. they later went on to build jeeps in the 2nd world war ( and onwards ).
But back in the late 30s and early 40s they built cheap, basic cars.. kinda like say daewoo or kia today. Puny little 4 cylinder engines, *very* basic cars.

After the 2nd world war lots of servicemen arrived home with cash in their pockets and a taste for adventure, pretty soon they were buying cars and learning how to make them go faster, racing on the streets and where possible on salt flats. Drag racing was born. The NHRA, hot rods, street rods and the whole car customising/modifying scene soon followed.

Move on to the mid/late 50s a class emerged called "Gas Cars", basically sotck, road legal cars (rules stipulated it had to be road registered and even have a trimmed interior! ). As the years progressed the gassers got more and more radical, shortened wheelbases, raised front ends (better weight transfer). The 60s were the "golden years" of the gassers, supercharged and alcohol engines were bought into the gasser classes.

By now of course a Willys Coupe, like the pic above was just an old, cheap car that no-one wanted. Ideal for stuffing a big block in and going racing then !! By virtue of this steel willys are pretty rare today and worth considerable money. You can buy glass bodies easily enough though. "Back in the day" the MOPAR engines were known to be very powerful and so it came to be that many Willys got fitted with plymouth engines ( referred to as Hemis, hemispherical head.. was new at the time.. ).

Right then, so heres a few more pics, of a car similar to the above, first a stock car..

probably one of the most famous ever willys gassers, Big John Mazmanians' 41 coupe. Note the stance. This car ran 9.77 @ 149mph in 1964!

Some street rod wilys..

radically customised body.. don't panic.. its glass!

just a couple of sites to look at:

http://www.mikesteinberg.com/
http://www.gassermadness.com/

I had an excellent link to a story about Lions Drag strip, I'll see if I can find it.
Crafty
Astra Craftsman
Astra Craftsman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it..

The Lions strip was one of the most famous drag racing strips, during the late 50s and early 60s thousands of strips popped up all over the US, but Lions held a special place in the hearts of many racers and fans..

Heres the story of the strip, from start to end..
http://www.northernthunder.com/lastrace.html

Also, see if you find anything you like here:
http://www.donshotrodpage.net/events.htm
Gonch
Astra Old Hand
Astra Old Hand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New i could rely on you mk1 boys, there really is some random shite posted on this thread Very Happy
Suicide
Astra Legend
Astra Legend

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We try our best big grin
Jason
Rallyslag

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crafty wrote:
Beetle! beetle! ye gods man, I know people that would inflict serious pain for that !!

The Willy isn't that bad surely...? laughing laughing They made some half decent Jeeps, shame they could never rival the good old Landie off road though.

Crafty wrote:
the company name was Willy International..

I gotta get me that company name for when mi 'Man Hoe' Business goes global...laughing

Crafty wrote:
they built cheap, basic cars.. kinda like say daewoo or kia today. Puny little 4 cylinder engines, *very* basic cars.

So just like VW when they produced the Beetle then laughing..!!

Crafty wrote:
Move on to the mid/late 50s a class emerged called "Gas Cars", basically sotck, road legal cars (rules stipulated it had to be road registered and even have a trimmed interior! ). As the years progressed the gassers got more and more radical, shortened wheelbases, raised front ends (better weight transfer). The 60s were the "golden years" of the gassers, supercharged and alcohol engines were bought into the gasser classes

Here's a pic of a Gasser Bug, just to make things worse.

Crafty wrote:
probably one of the most famous ever willys gassers, Big John Mazmanians' 41 coupe. Note the stance. This car ran 9.77 @ 149mph in 1964!

How did that manage to keep on the ground running them times? It looks set to go airbourne, hats off to the guy, that's a brilliant time for that period.

Crafty wrote:

That is just Sex on Wheels....

Suicide
Astra Legend
Astra Legend

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason the buttmuncher wrote:
Crafty wrote:
they built cheap, basic cars.. kinda like say daewoo or kia today. Puny little 4 cylinder engines, *very* basic cars.

So just like VW when they produced the Beetle then laughing..!!

So does that mean VW stole the idea from Wily? I thought when that happened they were meant to make them better, so how come they made them hugely worse?

Jason the buttmuncher wrote:
Crafty wrote:

That is just Sex on Wheels....

Prefer the red one myself
Jason
Rallyslag

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste, gayer than a Boarding School Preist wrote:

So does that mean VW stole the idea from Wily? I thought when that happened they were meant to make them better, so how come they made them hugely worse?

If the objective of making cars better is always fullfilled, who the fook came up with the City Rover then?? laughing

...and Standard Beetles are shite, I agree, but shite and cheap and easy to work on. When have you ever known me stick with Standard anything anyhow...smile

Ste, gayer than a Boarding School Preist wrote:
Prefer the red one myself

Is that because it matches the 'Gay Pride' badge you always wear?

exuptoy
R1 Wheeliemonster
<font color=#FF8000>R1 Wheeliemonster</font>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its official, MK1OC now has its own ANNORAK step forward CRAFTY big grin laughing big grin laughing big grin laughing
Soz m8. laughing

Astra Legend
Astra Legend

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gayson McKnobmuncher wrote:

If the objective of making cars better is always fullfilled, who the fook came up with the City Rover then?? laughing

That would be the Tata Motor Company in india, Rover just shipped em over, rebadged them and shipped them out to mugs so not a case of copying.

Gayson McKnobmuncher wrote:
Btw do you like my 'Gay Pride' badge?

Umm, not seen it but I'm sure it suits you.

Yeah this is childish but what the hey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> Non-Astra Related All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: