VAUXHALL ASTRA GTE MK1 CAR PERFORMANCE SPORTS TURBO
www.mk1oc.com
Google
AlbumAlbum  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 MapMap  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MK1OC Club
Shop Contact MK1OC by Email

:: best viewed @ 1024 x 768 :.

Calendar 
What should I paint over Lowe Rust Primer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> General Astra Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpaceKadett
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: What should I paint over Lowe Rust Primer Reply with quote

What do you think I should paint over the Lowe Rust primer on the under floor. https://youtu.be/r9X9L42Fz6g
davestar7
Astra Veteran
Astra Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say that these videos of yours are great, often the only thing stopping me getting stuck in and attempting repairs is the unknown. I worry that I can't put it back together again, as I've not had eyes on whats behind the bolts I'm undoing !

It's something I really want to do also, I've got myself a gopro and as soon as I get back into ownership want to do some videos

As for paint - I'd have thought anything but you would want it to be hardwearing

Astra Enthusiast
Astra Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the best person to give advice, as I just about to finish my first restoration on my gte, but what Iīve done in my case, was to use Upolīs acid primer instead of the Lowe Rust primer youīre using, then Iīve used a 2k primer, then undercoat, then paint. Thatīs what I did.
SpaceKadett
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davestar7 wrote:

It's something I really want to do also, I've got myself a gopro and as soon as I get back into ownership want to do some videos

Glad you enjoy the videos, it's a real challenge thinking of the camera while you do work, but it's very rewarding. Good luck!

SpaceKadett
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelson c. wrote:
Not the best person to give advice, as I just about to finish my first restoration on my gte, but what Iīve done in my case, was to use Upolīs acid primer instead of the Lowe Rust primer youīre using, then Iīve used a 2k primer, then undercoat, then paint. Thatīs what I did.

Thanks nelson c. I used the Lowe Primer on a recemendation of a friend. He 2 packed over as well. I'm not quite set up for that yet. I think it would be a shame to hide it in black underseal now it looks so well, so I'll have to think a bit more.

nelson c.
Astra Enthusiast
Astra Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpaceKadett wrote:
nelson c. wrote:

Thanks nelson c. I used the Lowe Primer on a recemendation of a friend. He 2 packed over as well. I'm not quite set up for that yet. I think it would be a shame to hide it in black underseal now it looks so well, so I'll have to think a bit more.

Forgot to say I've used white underseal and then painted white over it lol
SpaceKadett
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="nelson c."]
SpaceKadett wrote:

Forgot to say I've used white underseal and then painted white over it lol

Well I'm using red primer and I've decided to go with Lowe's red top coat. It'll suit this car. big grin
Still adding the base in this clip and a bit of underseal under the arches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUUxIqBJ8n0&index=1&list=PLG3xGrGq4VMH4W42B2V9BGjkrk6lcb_68&t=19s

nelson c.
Astra Enthusiast
Astra Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how things seem so easy with your car, in my case, bolts were always hard to undo, or broke, or discovered holes were I thought it woulld be only a clean an paint over job Very Happy
SpaceKadett
Astra Addict
Astra Addict

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelson c. wrote:
I like how things seem so easy with your car, in my case, bolts were always hard to undo, or broke, or discovered holes were I thought it woulld be only a clean an paint over job Very Happy

I've been maintaining it on the road for over two years so I've been through most of it once already so that's why things are freed up. We're very lucky with the condition of this one and I've chosen to do it first because my black one needs more work to get done. I decided after a lot of deliberating that it was better to finish this one first instead of it waiting for the longer job to be done and then this one deteriorating in the meantime. I can enjoy this while I'm doing the long job then.

nelson c.
Astra Enthusiast
Astra Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how the underside of mine looks now mate, will get all dirty I know, I know Confused

2016-10-09 16.20.16.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  224.08 KB
 Viewed:  6060 Time(s)

2016-10-09 16.20.16.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> General Astra Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: