VAUXHALL ASTRA GTE MK1 CAR PERFORMANCE SPORTS TURBO
www.mk1oc.com
Google
AlbumAlbum  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 MapMap  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MK1OC Club
Shop Contact MK1OC by Email

:: best viewed @ 1024 x 768 :.

Calendar 
Heater Motor/blower

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> General Astra Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie monster
Astra Newbie
Astra Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Heater Motor/blower Reply with quote

Has anyone replaced theirs with anything other than a mk1 heater motor? I ask this as i think i may have to replace mine and no doubt no one will have one for sale. I've looked into it as best i could (power of google) and it seems that mk2 and 3's don't seem to be the same size/housing and even mk1 nova's are completely different. Can they be reconditioned? if so has anyone had theirs done or have information on anyone capable of doing so.
any help would be appreciated
astra123
Astra Enthusiast
Astra Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure sombody will have one think there was two different ones both exactly the same really one with plastic fans one with metal
Dimpas
Astra Old Hand
Astra Old Hand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blower is a electric motor. If servised it can operate again with no problem.
There is a great chance that the power resistors may have been burned away but you can fix it too !
So if the coil on the rotor is has not a sort circuit then the blower is repairable.

cookie monster
Astra Newbie
Astra Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is mine has managed to melt my fuse box! Now from what i've read the melting of the fuse and not blowing is caused by a bad contact/s which will build up resistance and then heat/melt things. So i've cleaned everything up as in took the heater motor out and oiled it used switch cleaner on the plug both ends re fitted cleaned the fuse box as best i could more switch cleaner... But i'm stuck with a melted fuse box so its not great or 100%. So i started the car up put the heater on and could feel the fuse start to heat up =( now from what i've read could be the heater motor giving up the ghost (causing the issue) i've also been told if the cars earth is poor/sh$t that to wont aid my quest! So i'm thinking i should upgrade the earth strap to a newer one rather than the braided original that the car came with. Still looking for advice or idea's on a fix guys
Dimpas
Astra Old Hand
Astra Old Hand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On these cars to replace the earth straps (ALL ) and the possitive big wire is a must ! Clean all contacts and after installing the new wires use a wax to protect from oxidation.
Now, is the fuse good and the recomended amperage ???? I do not remember what it should be . It must be the apropriate.
Please take in consideration that ALL conductive resistors are not linear. In the begging when the rotor starts to spin the Z = compositive resistor ( εμπεδηση in Greek) is LOW and the AMPS are more than when the rotor spins in full speed.
Low resistance More amps in the circuit ( DC Current )
More amps more heat BUT
Bad contact means smaller path to pass the amps ( like a resistor of a small wattage ) soooo more heat and fire !

So to have the fuse melt but not open ( blown) means that there is a bad contact in the fuse box or the fuse is not of a quality

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> General Astra Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: