VAUXHALL ASTRA GTE MK1 CAR PERFORMANCE SPORTS TURBO
www.mk1oc.com
Google
AlbumAlbum  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 MapMap  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MK1OC Club
Shop Contact MK1OC by Email

:: best viewed @ 1024 x 768 :.

Calendar 
Welding hints and tips
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> Hints & Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exuptoy
R1 Wheeliemonster
<font color=#FF8000>R1 Wheeliemonster</font>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacko, sorry for the delay m8, I purchased my welder from machine mart, it is the clarke 100E gas fed mig. Dont touch gasless theyre crap. The welder cost me about £156 and it came with a small bottle of gas, 1 hand held shield, and a regulator. I also purchased a regulator to fit on a bottle of pub gas (co2) £25 because this is about 50 times the size of the small bottle and only costs about £9 for a refill ( if you know anyone in the pub game (my m8's son gave me the pub gas as he runs a pub strangely enough laughing ))
Reactolite head shields are only about £40 on ebay and are good quality for an ammateur.
I dont agree that you would have a problem cutting a patch the correct size just borrow a die grinder or cut off tool HERE and cut out the square to remove all the bad metal and then make a cardboard template as this is the most simple way to replicate the patch and just cut oversize by about 10mm all around. By the way it is easier to weld a circular patch as you have no corners to weld to and return from, as you are reheating the corner which is the most common cause of blowing holes. If you blow a hole the easiest way to sort it is hold the torch at a shallower angle and pulse the trigger and bridge the holeworking around the hole and then inwards, do this numerous times and then grind back the little mountain you have formed. laughing
You should be able to purchase patching metal in 4 foot square sheets from most welding suppliers or good motor factors. Alternatively cut up some of them panels you had lying around laughing .
You can cut the patch to the exact size and weld it in by spot welding to stick it in place and attack the plate from opposite sides to keep from distorting the plate with excess heat so you dont have to try seam welding a patch because this will blow holes as the surface tension of the metal alters as you are actually moving a pool of moulten metal. If you really want to use an edge setter, the details are HERE and can be purchased HERE.
Above all if you are going to patch a car just make sure the metal is super CLEAN as thin rusted metal wont give a good conducting surface and will blow all to easily. The best source of metal is a car roof as it is good quality metal and usually rust free. Get down the scrappers and get one cut off for about a tenner.
If you can get to the rear of a plate ie under the floor then cut a plate and joggle it but in and awkward corner then cut to size and just take your time as a grinder will always clean up welds until they can no longer be seen.
Anyway get some scrap metal first and just prctice until it sounds like bacon cooking then you have it cracked. Play with the settings until you have an idea what happens, ie too much current may blow a hole or burn back the wire as will too slow a wire feed speed, moving the torch too slow may cause blown holes and too fast a wire speed will push the torch away from the workpiece, try to keep the torch head at about 45 degrees to the plate but try to vary the angle slightly and see how this alters things.
Anyway good luck jacko and just practice a little first.
Any mods fancy making this piece a sticky so I dont have to type all this again even though I am not a pro welder but do have some experience, please do.

Astra Messiah
Astra Messiah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's what I call a reply!! Shocked Nice one Lyn smile
<font color=#33CC00>Moderator</font>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider it a sticky Very Happy

Aim Low, Reach Your Goals and Avoid Disappointment
View user's profile Send private message View user's gallery Visit poster's website
hot-hatch
Astra Expert
Astra Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a gold star big grin
Jacko
Astra Expert
Astra Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one exuptoy, you see Jay....thats how to explain it. [=jay talk]just stick plete ovr top and press trigger, it be rete[/jay talk] laughing laughing

Only messing Jay Razz

Ok, so this edge setting malark really isn't worth it then? You see i REALLY don't want to see the welds BUT some of them will be in a really obvious place.

Thanks for your time exuptoy, nice one! thumbsup

And thanks for the welding ebook Matt thumbsup

exuptoy
R1 Wheeliemonster
<font color=#FF8000>R1 Wheeliemonster</font>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edge setter is worth the hassle as per the post regarding the sunroof plate as a cover plate that size is gonna be a headache to conceal due to heat dispersion on the roof panel so it has its place where the back of the plate can be hidden also it is a bit quicker due to the 2 layers of metal (ie a lap joint not a butt joint (thats not lap dancing joint Jay laughing ))and the fact it can be spot welded through the plate at the back. Finally welding down hand ie leaning over the workpiece is a lot easier than overhead so if you gotta weld under the car try to get it jacked right up because weld spatter or dips of molten metal burns real bad especially in the fold at your forearm/upperarm, or in your socks Shocked Trust me I know!!!! laughing laughing laughing also holding the torch between 30 and 45 degrees may have different result depending on technique as you are pushing the pool of metal along and the shielding gas is keeping the pool cool and free from impurities thats why you see slag being chipped off a workpiece if you are arc welding because the coating on the rods acs like a flux whereas a mig welder uses shielding gas such as co2 or argon for alloy or stainless, BTW you CAN weld stainless to mild steel with standard co2 it's just that argon gives a better burn.
King of Bling
<font color=#FF8000>King of Bling</font>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i now consider myself a qualified welder!

thumbsup

laughing

(i may start gving lessons in 'Bling' should there be enough interest!)

laughing
Jason
Rallyslag
<font color=#FF8000>Rallyslag</font>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Jacko, everything I said was true.....you should have listened to the Jay-ster...

Bloody edge setter in a confined place....tut..

It is easy enough to hide the welds if you pay enough attention to grinding them back with a grinder. I just couldn't be arsed to do it on mine when I first started learning welding...that why it looks shite.

It's always best to grind back on welds anyway so you can make sure you have fully penetration (Not a lapdancing bar either laughing) on the weld, unless you are uber-confident that the weld is a good one and you happen to be able to make it look like applying silicone the first time round (which I can't but I am getting there)

I have the plates that you need for you car, although I am not sure whether you can use them yet or not laughing Shame on you Shame on you

Jacko
Astra Expert
Astra Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing i reconnected the computer, otherwise i wouldn't have ever known your STILL sat at home! mad
mk1astramad
Astra Demon
Astra Demon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love u guys, all i need now is a car,then i can start practising my welding!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View user's gallery Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ash
Space Kadett
<font color=#FF8000>Space Kadett</font>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get Argon/Carbon dioxide mix you will find welding alot easier. If you get pure Argon you can weld Aluminum using Ally wire too big grin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View user's gallery MSN Messenger
mk indy blade
Astra Expert
Astra Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mk1matt wrote:
Have sent the PDF to you both, its 10mb so i dunno if you'll be able to get that much?

can u send it to me as well at david.brook11@Tiscali.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View user's gallery Visit poster's website
Ash
Space Kadett
<font color=#FF8000>Space Kadett</font>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you weld diecast? or the stuff that weber carbs are made from? I think not but you never know! What about some high tech resin stuff would that fix a crack?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View user's gallery MSN Messenger
bren
Astra Old Hand
Astra Old Hand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

who is it with the haynes pdf? mk1matt? anyone??
any chance you could email it to me, pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaase?
i might then be able to host it for anyone else who wants to download at will.
many thanks - all_night_lover@hotmail.com (yes, 'tis true! wink)
kokaine
Astra Newbie
Astra Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I have a copy of that manual too please. My email address is: gryphon25@gmail.com.

Thanks
Very Happy

96 Astra F 160I E
View user's profile Send private message View user's gallery Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> Hints & Tips All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: