VAUXHALL ASTRA GTE MK1 CAR PERFORMANCE SPORTS TURBO
www.mk1oc.com
Google
AlbumAlbum  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 MapMap  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MK1OC Club
Shop Contact MK1OC by Email

:: best viewed @ 1024 x 768 :.

Calendar 
Cutting out problem...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> General Astra Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirNick
Astra Enthusiast
Astra Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Cutting out problem... Reply with quote

Hello All

Me car keeps spluttering and popping cutting out and stops, it won’t start again unless you leave it for at least 5 to 10 mins, please note that this only happens on really steep hills. I thought that it was the fuel filter so I changed it, but it still happens.. Has anyone got any ideas of what it might be.

My car is a mk1 SR with 2.0 8v cav sri 130 engine, mk2 astra GTE fuel tank I think. Embarassed Embarassed

Thanks
Nick

Astra Expert
Astra Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same egine as mine,
do you have the bulb wired for the ECU, can tell you codes if can fine the wires to wire up?

i had a bad wire on the fuel relay, when the car is running move the conection n see if it dies,

these engines will run with nearly everything unplugged except knock censor and bypass valve (only cos it closes n wont tick over)
so make sure nothing is loose!!!

but the hill thing could be summat in the tank! are u using the GTE tank or SR tank?

warphi1970
Events Organiser
<font color=#33CC00>Events Organiser</font>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my dad used to have the same problem with his Cav 130 back in the day.

It was a sensor or fuel cut out switch that got dodgy when warm, leave for ten mins and it worked again. Vauxhall sorted it eventually.

However the going down hill bit might have something to do with it?

Is it better with a brimmed tank? you could be sucking on air down hill, then struggling with airlock after? or even fuel surge and flooding it.

warphi1970
Events Organiser
<font color=#33CC00>Events Organiser</font>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where abouts in Stonehouse are you? I might be able to persuade my mate in Westerleigh if you could put it on his diagnostic machine?

might come up with some codes, its only 20 miles down road?

Might be able to do it on Saturday

justEdnow
Astra Demon
Astra Demon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont have an aftermarket tank by any chance do you???

I know members and myself in past have had problems with aftermarket tanks with out a whatsyoumecallitdiggerydoo........ Brick wall f#@k it cant remember what its called....Tricky will tell you he told me of the problem years ago.

Other than that ignition modules are regular breakers, when gets warm it cuts engine out, but hill bit suggest Tank problem or loose connection.

clairpete
Astra Enthusiast
Astra Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swirl pot????????????
justEdnow
Astra Demon
Astra Demon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep thats it, just came back to amend........... laughing laughing
GT/Estate
Astra Expert
Astra Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swirl pot only counts when under quarter full and only on a right hand bend, you would need one hell of a hill to simulate a hard right hand bend with under a tenner in the tank, my mk1 has had 1.6i/1.8i/2.0i engines in it for over 4 years usin a non GTE tank n i still drive round on les than £10 but god do i know about it! splutters on roundabouts and right hand bends but i can hear the pump whine as its mounted using an ignition coil mount lol! ignition module would do it most of the time not just on hills, fill the tank up n go for a drive! theres only 2 wires req for the ECU bulb to work and one wire to an earth to flash the codes up! as the engine has been tansplanted i doubt the diagnostic plug is still there,
clairpete
Astra Enthusiast
Astra Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i drilled a few small holes in the bottom of my swirl pot and it runs fine now with under a tenner in the tank big grin big grin
SirNick
Astra Enthusiast
Astra Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warphi1970

Thanks for the offer but this weekend I'm away. As everyone has suggested the problem is probably either the tank or a fuel relay. The thing is there are loads of hills in our area and you lose confidence in driving the mk1 if you think you are going to keep breaking down. Its so embarrassing especially if you can't pull over on the side out of the way, it always happens on steep hills and during the rush hour.

One thing I didn't mention is everytime it has happened I'm always going fairly slow either in traffic or stuck behind some old git....

Astra Expert
Astra Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it change how often it does it depending on fuel level? my fuel relay fault would only happen on left hand bends lol and sometimes when i wanted to start it mad

just had a thought, my 1.3 estate would throw oil up the breather pipe back in to the engine when cornering hard and as the 2.0 is known for breather problems it might be an idea to look at that area too,

anyway

wiring for ECU is as follows, if u want to have a look and see if there is owt electrical wrong, plus it comes in handy when driving and it pops up just befor engine cuts out you'll know its electrical, i used the choke light for mine!

on the ECU connect the brown with blue strip to one side of a bulb and the other side of the bulb to a switched + (any black on dash clocks)

then if you have the diagnostic plug connect the brown and white strip to the earth wire (brown) in the same plug, if you dont have the plug then pin 12 on ecu will have the wire there to use, i fitted a switch to make it easy to use any time.

turn ignition on but dont start car and watch the codes flash up, use this guide to look at whats wrong, bosch motronic 1.5, there are alot of codes that dont mean owt for this engine but i always found out what was wrong
http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes.htm#bosch

doing mine tomorrow as i can tell when its in limp home mode,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MK1 Astra Owners Club Forum Index -> General Astra Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: